Farm Website

For more information on our farm and to order our products, please visit our website at www.yonderwayfarm.com or click on the link to take you there.

Sunday, January 6, 2008

On The Move



Well today is Sunday and that is the one day that I try not to do anything too work related on the farm. I firmly believe in the Sabbath and this is normally my day to take it. However, it is time to move the cows to their next paddock and if I didn't do it today, I would have to wait 2 more days because it takes them that long to consume a round bale. So, rather than going hunting on the last day of the season, I took responsibility and started with the move. First I had to put round bales in the paddock and cut the string off them. (Most people don't do this but it is not uncommon for a cow to get a blockage because they have a taste for nylon rope. Never tried it myself.) I set the pad up yesterday which only takes about 10 or 15 minutes to do, so that part was done. Then came moving the cows. These guys and gals make it so easy on me. They know to go to the gate handle end of the poly wire fence and wait for me. I open the end up and off they go. On these pads, I run two water troughs because these are long skinny paddocks and I noticed with one trough, they tend to stay more towards the end with the water. So having two equal distance apart has really given me much better coverage. I now have my roosters in the paddocks with my beeves ( I don't know if I want to go ahead and eat them or let them sift through the manure, spreading it out for me and eating the fly larvae helping with horn flies.....They do well on pasture because they are large and hawks leave them alone.)so I had to move their house. Its on wheels so it just goes behind our ATV. This was a nice way to start the morning and I was done by 08:30 to get ready for church.

Beeves In Their New Pad:




Church was awesome. I really love our church body and our pastor is deeply connected to the Lord and preaches every Sunday with challenging messages. Its good to know he doesn't just tell us what our itching ears want to hear but instead, preaches what God is really laying on his heart, even if it is not popular. Click on this link to hear the message.

Thats about it. I'm tired and can't wait to see what tomorrow holds. Its suppose to rain so that will keep me on track with my new layer house.

2 comments:

sugarcreekfarm said...

Those are some nice looking calves. We're partial to the black whitefaces around here also :)

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

A farmer's job never ends, not even on the Sabbath.

Bless you and your lovely family.