Farm Website

For more information on our farm and to order our products, please visit our website at www.yonderwayfarm.com or click on the link to take you there.

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Why Support Your Local Farmer?



Well if you felt all safe and cozy knowing that the government is keeping the commercial food business in check then I hope you threw up yesterday morning. If you don't know what I am taking about then here is the link to the full story. I first saw the videos that were aired on the television about a month ago. I could not believe what I saw. These animals that were so sick that they were unable to stand were being carried into this processing plant and being butchered, and sold to the public. But not just the public, but our children through school lunch programs. Yack. And to think that when I was in school, I always got 2 lunches because I just liked food that much. I wish I knew then what I knew now.

The great thing is there is a new movement coming on and if this is not evidence as to why then your blinders are welded on over your eyes rather than the side. I urge you please support your local farmers. I don't mean that you have to buy all your fruits and vegetables along with your meat but at least your meat. Animals are living things that can harbor some awful things, and if you have ever been to a sale barn, you will see that the majority of these animals are being sold because something is wrong with them. Not newly weined calves but I'm talking your full grown older cows. You know who buys them? Commercial slaughter houses. These animals are allowed to be slaughtered under USDA rules as long as they are breathing and able to stand prior to slaughter. Thats it. I don't know about you but I don't want to consume a sick animal. Nope, not me.

There are many farms around everyone, whether you know it or not, that offer locally raised products. Now I'm not saying just go grass-fed, though I don't know why you wouldn't if you had someone producing around you, but go locally raised. Buy from a place where you can go and see the animals and how they are treated. What are they eating? Do they look stress free? I know that sounds weird but a stress free cow produces better and tastes better. Animals were made for a purpose. To work the land, keep other species in check, whether it be other animals or vegetation, and to be eaten by things bigger and smarter than them. But just because we get to eat them doesn't mean you don't let them fulfill their purpose while on that path. I heard it best one time that "God made beef perfect then man came along and screwed it up." That is so true. We somehow feel that we can take an animal that functions perfectly in its natural environment, on its natural diet, and somehow make it work better by forcing it to eat alien things and be confined on a dirt pad. Well, this is what we have come to. A country allowing our kids to eat manure caked, almost dead yet living, abused meat in our tax payed schools. Wow.

So please take the time to invest in yours and your kids health. You can no longer plead ignorance on the issues anymore. You have been shown the evidence so make the wise choice. Support your local farmers and invest in products that are the way they were meant to be.

Video of Commercial Packing Plant

1 comment:

Practically Ava said...

WOW!WOW!...Why have I been so ignorant to think these awful things were not happening to the animals that we eat!!....Pushing the cow with the fork lift..folks it does not get much more inhumaine than that. Well all i can say is ....Grass fed beef, it's what's for dinner in my house tonite...thanks for bringing this to our attention. Love y'all and your efforts and intentions!
Kayla